On the full moon poya day of 16th of May 1916, B. M. Punchibandara saw the light of this world in the Maho village situated in the district of Kurunegala. He was the only child of devoted Bandaranaika Mudiyansalage Tikiribanda and devoted Pradhana Mudiyansalage Muthumenika.
Acceptance into the Order
The ceremony was conducted by Venerable Mahakonwewae Saranagkarabhidhana Thero and Venerable Saddharma Wagishwarawya. At the auspicious hour of 9.36AM, 16th of May, 1923, he was accepted into the order by the name of Maho Sumedha Thero.
Maho Sumedha Thero, as a little monk, was accepted into the Anuradhapura Maha Vihara pririven. Sumedha Thero entered the Paramadhammachethiya piriven to continue His higher studies which included proficiency in languages like Burmese. Sumedha Thero completed the required courses within a considerably little amount of time.
Sumedha Thero was presented with various honorary titles like Dharmdhara, Keerthidhara, Bahushrutha and later one was even presented with the Punditha Shiromani degree.
As a symbol of gratitude, Sumedha Thero enrolled for teaching in the same piriven he got his higher education from. He spent three years of His life as a teacher in this pirivena.
Sumedha Thero visited several aranyas for meditation. These locations included:
- Salgala Aranya Senasanaya
- Ingiriya Madakada Senasanaya
- Pokunuwita Bhavana madyasthanaya
During the lifetime of Venerable Sumedha Thero, he was able to associate with several other wise and senior Theros:
- Wajiramadhipathi Venerable Narada Thero
- Venerable Heenatiyana Dhammaloka Thero
- Wijedasa Parivenadhipathi Venerable Kalukondayawe Pangngasekara Thero
- Agalawaththa Prathiraja Parivenadhipathi Venerable Pimbure Wachissara Thero
- Thimbirigasyaya Ashokaramadhipathi Venerable Karandana Jeenarathana Thero
- Venerable Walane Sattihssara Thero
Venerable Sumedha Thero took permanent residence in the Maho Galyaya Temple on the full moon poya day of May, 1961.